The Proper Mindset for Evocation (Summoning)

It was originally an archangel by the name of Michael who helped me hammer out the kinks in my method of evocation. He taught me to focus on feeling two emotions within myself and to concentrate both on feeling those emotions and on the ritual effort at hand.

I don't know whether it was a lesson in humility or an attempt at breaking down my ego [causal illusion of self-understanding], but the method he went about this was Biblical scripture. The seventh verse of the first chapter of Second Timothy is forever present in my ritual chamber/bedroom because of this:
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and self-discipline."

The first emotion which I concentrate on experiencing is a feeling of love for whichever divinity I intend to evoke. If love is not conducive to the working at hand (or is merely embarrassing to the sorcerer), it may be replaced with feelings of respect, admiration, trust (and/or feelings of safety in the entity's presence), or with concentrating on how badass the spirit you're summoning is.

Remind yourself that the being you are working with is an incredibly ancient, wise, and powerful entity, and take care to respect them as such.

The second emotion which I concentrate on experiencing is power. This is a feeling of self-assurance, of aplomb, and/or of absolute safety in the act of witchcraft, is another important step, which should follow the first. Focus on love and power simultaneously, starting with love.

The aspect of the proper mindset for evocation is self-discipline: the act of concentrating completely as possible on the ritual task at hand. I concentrate completely on my feelings of love for the entity, and upon the rapture of my own self-assurance, and on the ritual tasks, chants, and visualizations at hand. This is the proper mindset whether you summon Archangels, Mahavidyas, the Undead Gods, the Nekalah, the Azerate, Goetic Demons, and all of the other kinds of beings I've summoned.

-V.K. Jehannum, 2016 Anno Maleficarum

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am Leaving the Order of the Nine Angles

The Ten Spheres of the Qliphoth

Introduction to Qliphothic Self-Initiation